Saturday, August 23, 2008

My 45-Day Broilers

You will surely be missed.
My 45-Day Broilers
Last Monday marked the 45th day of my 20 broilers; 16 of them already bid goodbye to serve their purpose, and the rest were fortunate enough to live a little longer as they were bought alive. And yeah, I did the dressing alone! All it takes is some guts to murder those helpless chickens.

For the past month and a half, I have been wasting alloting a portion of my daily 24 hours just to clean my broilers' poop (the volume of which increases as the broilers grow old) and refill their feeder and waterer with feeds, water and vitamins two to three times a day.

Aside from the broilers' daily routine of pooping, eating, pooping, drinking, pooping, eating, pooping, sleeping, pooping, eating and pooping again (they can also do several combinations of these spectacular activities), they have nothing else to do. Just imagine the sacrifice I endured - the foul smell they brought to my place and the tedious task of properly disposing their copius poop. Sigh!

I admit, I don't have any single idea about broilers, much more how to raise them. But what pushed me to venture into this agri-business is my desire to earn and have something to keep myself busy after losing my job. If carefully planned and studied, poultry farming is not that bad. In fact, it is a very good business if you have basic knowledge, a good place and enough resources. But sans these must-haves, I pursued with the business, which I consider an experiment as far as I am concerned. Little did I know that I will just end up as a loser - financially, physically and psychologically. I should have looked for a good and hands-on mentor first before I took the risk. Okay, next time!

On the other hand, I got some things to be grateful about this flopped business of mine.

First, I was given an opportunity to learn more about accountability. No matter how sleepy I am because perhaps I slept late the night before or I just feel like sleeping until midday,
my unconscious mind tells my lazy ass to wake up, get moving and feed my hungry broilers once they start to get noisy. The same thing happens before the sun sets down or when I get home no matter how tired I may be. But take note, feeding is the cause and poop cleaning is the effect.

Second, it taught me something new. I learned about broilers and how to raise them. And the next time I venture into this kind of business again, I know better what to do. One good thing about it is that when someone talks about broilers, I will not be caught amazed by whatever he says, filling my mind with theories. Instead, I can already share some of my first-hand experiences.

Third, I got to have an animal to take care of once again. It was way back in my High School when I first took care of an animal - pigeon/dove of different sorts. It feels good to have something, especially an animal, to keep an eye on. And
while attending to their needs, I find myself entertained and relaxed with their activities. So with my broilers, the memories of my then pigeons/doves and how I took care of them were somewhat relived.

And lastly,
thanks to my broilers' delicious meat! Tinola, chicken adobo, and fried chicken are just some of the viands that my family enjoyed. And surely, those who bought from me will also enjoy or have enjoyed their hairy/feathery(?) meat because as expected, I was not able to clean them thoroughly. Eheh.

So just like life, no matter how bad it may seem, there are always some good things that we should all be grateful for.

So there it goes - In loving memory of my 45-day broilers.

Maktub!

9 comments:

pipay said...

i didn't get the chance to meet your chicks...tsk! sayang...

nwei charge it to experience nalang siguro...and maybe next time you'll be able to lessen the expenses brough about by inexperience (that is if there will be a next time...eheh!)

basta continue doing what makes you happy... GOGOGO lang!

Jude said...

eheh. oo nga, sayang, di mo sila nameet the last time. nway, no regrets naman ako. like what i've said, there were several things to be grateful about despite of.. although it could have been better, it was good nonetheless. so yun.Ü

thanks pipay for dropping by and for leaving a comment. thank you na rin po sa suporta. eheh.Ü

homar murillo said...

arog talaga siguro kayan pag nagpopoon, trial and error. at least we learn something from our mistakes. gari man su pagtry ko sa dried fish venture, flop man pero kaya pa man maka-recover. although experience is d best teacher mas marhay pa din talaga kun igwang expert mentor. minimal an errors.

Jude said...

hay homar, sinabi mo pa. pero sabi kang professor ko ngana, experience is not the best teacher but analysis, insights and reflection. it's not enough that we experience something; it is what we do with what we have experienced. yun.Ü

dried fish? ok yan na business ah. well i hope, makabawi ka tas kumita ka ki maray jan.

su sako man, di ko man talaga to tigcareer na pagkakitaan pero still, i gave my best.. but i guess my best wasn't good enough. eheh. and yeah, hanap na muna kitang maray na mentor next time bago mag-engage sa business na wara pa kitang aram.

salamat sa pagdrop-by giraray.Ü

Mina Palencia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mina Palencia said...

ayy... di kaya naghapot sako... hahaha.. my father and I were into 45 days during my elementary and HS.. my father worked in a hatchery that's why...

gare man nanggad saraditon.. kang nag-alaga kami ni jho more than 2 kilos na sinda 30 days pa lng...better luck next time? :D

*dinelete ko si inot na post may sala kaya... hahaha

Jude said...

nag-2 kilos man sinda; may mga nagsobra pa ngani. overall, wara man problema sa kita; break-even nga lng. nagkita pa ngani ako kung nasa 30-50 sinda. kaso 20 lang sinda ta first time ko pa man. lugi lang ako sa pagal tas parong kang poopoo ninda. still, i had a good time maski mapagalon.

no regrets man ako mina so ayos lang din. di bale, next time, consult ta ka pag naisipan kong magpoultry farming ulit.Ü

salamat po sa pagdrop-by.Ü

dex said...

experience is not the best teacher but analysis, insights and reflection. it's not enough that we experience something; it is what we do with what we have experienced. yun.Ü

^^Best thing I've read so far today. Thanks!

Yup, you're right, we should never be afraid of failing because there's always an opportunity to learn something from every failure. And if we learn from our mistakes, we end up wiser. :-)

kaso nga lang, we have to deal with all the shit and the crap. haha.

Jude said...

i was also moved by that statement dex that's why i'm sharing it here.Ü

you got it right; if not for the mistakes we have committed and the failures we have experienced in the past, we will all be in deep shit at this time.

but on second thought, let us not make mistakes and failures our hobbies. we defnitely don't want to build personal relationship with all the shit and crap. eheh.Ü